In response to the catastrophic flooding across Queensland and NSW over the past few days, the federal government is offering support by way of a non-means tested payment to those affected – $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per child.

Disaster assistance is now available to Gold Coast, Logan and Scenic Rim councils following sustained heavy rainfall and ongoing flash-flooding across Southern Queensland. Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Support is available to NSW residents in 34 key locations with assistance provided by a range of agencies. Here’s an excerpt from the Real Estate Institute of NSW (REINSW) support information:


Federal Government 

  • The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) is now available for a one-off, non-means tested payment of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per child is available immediately
  • A 13-week ongoing allowance is also available  
  • This applies to 34 NSW local government areas: Armidale, Bellingen, Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Camden, Campbelltown, Canterbury Bankstown, Central Coast, Cessnock, Clarence Valley, Coffs Harbour, Cumberland, Dungog Shire, Fairfield, Hawkesbury, The Hills, Hornsby, Inner West, Kempsey, Ku-ring-gai, Lake Macquarie, Liverpool, Maitland, Mid-Coast, Nambucca, Newcastle, Northern Beaches, Parramatta, Penrith, Port Macquarie-Hastings, Port Stephens, Sutherland, Tenterfield, Wollondilly  
  • To access this payment or check your eligibility visit this page or call 180 22 66. 
  • Services Australia Mobile Service Centre and Mobile Service Teams have been deployed and are on hand to assist residents.
  • Australian Taxation Office – Taxation lodgement deferrals are available to small business – click here to visit the ATO’s drought support page. 
  •  ATO Flood Support: 1800 806 218
  • All major banks have announced business and individual support. The best thing to do in this instance is liaise with your bank manager on any assistance required.

Banking support on offer includes: 

  • A deferral of scheduled loan repayments 
  • Waiving fees and charges, including break costs on early access to term deposits
  • Debt consolidation to help make repayments more manageable 
  • Restructuring existing loans free of the usual establishment fees
  • Deferring interest payments on a case-by-case basis 
  • Offering additional finance to help cover cash flow shortages 
  • Deferring upcoming credit card payments 
  • Increasing emergency credit card limits. 

Key links and phone number have been provided below for general information: 

• Australian Banking Association

• ANZ: 1800 149 549

• Commonwealth Bank Emergency Assistance: 1800 314 695

• NAB Natural Disaster Support: 1800 701 599

• Westpac Assist: 1800 067 497 


Insurance Insurance assessors remain on standby to assist with immediate assessment but are waiting for storm and flood activity to subside. The best thing to do in this instance is liaise with your insurance provider for immediate support. Insurance Council of Australia has prepared an initial checklist for those waiting for assessment for insurance and flood damage.

What to do when you return to your property:

  • Safety is the priority – don’t do anything that puts anyone at risk 
  • Only return to your property when emergency services give the go ahead. If water has entered the property, don’t turn on your electricity until it has been inspected by an electrician 
  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to lodge a claim and seek guidance on the claims process 
  • You can start cleaning up but first take pictures or videos of damage to the property and possessions as evidence for your claim 
  • Keep samples of materials and fabrics to show your insurance assessor. Remove water or mud-damaged goods from your property that might pose a health risk, such as saturated carpets and soft furnishings 
  • Make a list of each item damaged and include a detailed description, such as brand, model and serial number if possible 
  • Store damaged or destroyed items somewhere safe. Speak to your insurer before you attempt or authorise any building work, including emergency repairs, and ask for the insurer’s permission in writing. 
  • Unauthorised work may not be covered by your policy
  • Do not throw away goods that could be salvaged or repaired.
  • Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements – The Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) is a jointly funded program between the Australian Government and state and territory (state) governments, through which the Australian Government provides financial assistance to support state governments with disaster recovery costs. This will be the primary avenue to fund clean-up and recovery arrangements and information in relation to this will be provided as further information comes to hand by the New South Wales Government.   

Please note this information is of a general nature only & support programs are currently being announced.
Further information and resources

Information shared by The Property Owners Association of NSW.